10 Things to tell my children when they're old enough to understand:
1. You will come across music that not many people are into. Like what you like. Take the time to understand what you hear. Music makes the world go round. Listen to everything in the song. The beat, the sound, the voice, the lyrics, the meaning. Take it all in. Lyrics will make you cry sometimes. But that just means that you can relate. And being able to know that there is someone out there that knows exactly how you’re feeling, is one of the most amazing feelings in the world.
2. Stay true to yourself. Once you know who you are, don’t change. Don’t let the bitterness of your peers bring you down. Enjoy the beauty of the world, look past all the flaws. Remember to breathe.
3. Don’t be afraid to fall in love. Forget the judgements, love is love. Take the risk of the fall. Let yourself be happy. Live for the moment. Forget about the future. Forget about the past. Cherish what you have.
4. At one point, your heart will feel broken. Your mind will be consumed with pessimistic thoughts, and there will be no other time in your life that you will be thinking as much as you will when something bad happens in your life. Try not to let it get the best of you. Live for what you have. Remember what you have. As much as you’re going to want to think that you have nothing, make sure you turn around.
5. Be kind. Be blunt. Be rude. Be sarcastic. Be lovely. Be original. Be whoever you want to be, but be friends with everyone. Enemies will come and go, but don’t hold grudges. You will like and dislike, but still find the decency to be civilized.
6. You’ll grow, and you’ll want to try new things. Don’t be afraid to, but always listen to your gut instinct. It does not matter what you do or how you do it, but it does matter if you have a good heart. Love everything at one point or another. If you can’t explain how you feel, write it down. Keep it for a time you’ll need it.
7. You will dwell on things that have happened in the past, but remember that sometimes it’s okay to let go. You will at some point have to let go of someone, and even when it feels like they’re gone, you will still have their memory. That is what matters.
8. Make love. Nothing more, nothing less.
9. Don’t follow a trend. Start one.
10. Lay in bed and listen to the rain. Go for a walk when it’s the perfect day. Spend time with people that are worth spending time with. Laugh at moments that aren’t worth laughing at. Smile when it’s the right moment. Kiss someone you know you’re in love with. Dream. Rebel.